The Ogden Mustangs put on a show Thursday night at The Ice Sheet, putting up six goals and not allowing any in a dominant victory over the Long Beach Bombers.

The Bombers were the No. 1 seed with the most regular season points coming into the Thorne Cup Finals, but have now dropped to 0-2 in their first two games. The Mustangs are now 2-0, knocking off the defending champs last night to open their finals play.

Matus Spodniak led the Mustangs with two goals in Thursday’s game. Corey Iapalucci had a goal and three assists. Austin Dittenhafer had a goal and an assist. Vladimir Cibulka had a 16-save shutout in goal.

The Mustangs outshot the Bombers 48-16 in the game.

The win now clinches a spot in the semi-finals on Saturday for the Mustangs, after being one of two teams to get to 2-0 in the first two days of the round-robin play.

The Mustangs close out round-robin play Friday night in what will be a rematch of the Mountain Division Finals against the Colorado Jr. Eagles. The Eagles have their backs against the wall at 0-2 in their games thus far. Puck will drop at 7:30 p.m.

Thursday’s three games featured a different style of hockey in each, but all were high-intensity, hard-fought games.


The Wichita Jr. Thunder join the Mustangs as the only two teams to sit at 2-0, after another six-goal performance for them today, for the second straight day. Their 12 total goals are the most of any team at the finals. They continue to be led by the Western States Hockey League’s leading scorer Peter Cicmanec who opened the scoring in the game and added an assist. The Eagles battled back late in the game with back-to-back third period goals. Despite a furious last-minute attack with the goalie pulled, they couldn’t net the equalizer.


Despite a valiant effort by Joakim Blomgren of the Valencia Flyers in goal, making 48 saves in the game, his team wasn’t able to bail him out with the required offense, and the defending champion Idaho Jr. Steelheads got into the win column with a 3-1 win. There were no goals scored for the 46:27 of the game, until Frederik Lindquist scored on the Steelheads’ 40th shot of the game. The Flyers came back with an equalizer on their only shot registered in the third period, but the Steelheads added two more late, one an empty-netter.